The 2021 Kia Optima K5 has been revealed, and it looks similar to the concept drawings we saw last year. And looking at the car, I know people are going to be divided on it’s looks since it’s so bold and daring.
Here are some of the highlights of the new 2021 Kia Optima K5 :
- Powerful and bold appearance incorporates Stinger design DNA while expanding Kia’s future design language
- All-new N3 platform is stronger while being longer, wider and lower
- New all-turbocharged engine lineup delivers improved efficiency and higher horsepower; including a new 2.5-liter that produces 290 horsepower and best-in-class available torque
- New standard 8-speed automatic transmission
- Segment exclusive available 8-speed “wet” dual-clutch transmission
- New all-wheel drive option available with 1.6T engine delivers peace of mind with improved stability and capability
- Proudly assembled in West Point, Georgia alongside the award-winning Telluride SUV
The new Optima K5 represents one of the biggest leaps forward between generations in recent automotive history, with it’s revolutionary design, all-new safety and performance enhanced “N3” platform, turbocharged engines, available all-wheel drive1, and high-impact technology.
Kia’s “Give It Everything” philosophy in the U.S. is clearly evident and “alive” in this new machine.
But why sedans when the world is leaning more towards SUVs?
Kia’s reply : “Fueled by an unstoppable spirit to push harder and work smarter, Kia was determined to give it everything instead of giving up; completely rethinking the traditional sedan.”
With the new bold exterior design, here are some of the main features :
- Shark skin-inspired mesh design on front grille and dual chrome exhaust tip garnish (GT-Line, GT)
- Signature “Heart Beat” daytime running lights and taillights with available LED “dashes” span the width of the rear deck lid
- Gloss black applique on rear glass enhances fastback shape while maintaining sedan functionality and cargo space
- Newly designed 16-, 18-, or 19-inch alloy wheels (18- and 19-inch wheels come with sporty Pirelli P-Zero tires)
The 2021 Kia Optima K5 is also longer, wider and lower than the outgoing generation :
- Length: 193.1 inches (+2 inches over Kia’s outgoing Optima)
- Width: 73.2 inches (+1 inch)
- Height: 56.9 inches (-0.8 inches)
- Wheelbase: 112.2 inches (+1.8 inches)
Interior wise, here is what’s new :
- Aircraft-type shift knob
- A mix of premium and sporty upholstery options including red leatherette seating, satin chrome metallic and wood-like finishes on the dashboard and door panels, depending on trim
- Panoramic sunroof
- Flat-bottom, sport steering wheel (GT-Line, GT)
Here comes the exciting bit, the 2 engine choices that the new Optima K5 comes with :
- 2.5-liter turbocharged GDI + MPI four-cylinder engine making 290 horsepower and 311 lb.-ft. of torque, paired with the new 8-speed “wet” Dual Clutch Transmission (GT) goes 0-60 mph in 5.8 seconds
- 1.6-liter turbocharged GDI four-cylinder engine producing 180 horsepower and 195 lb.-ft. of torque, managed by an all-new eight-speed automatic transmission (LX, LXS, GT-Line, EX)
Front-wheel drive biased AWD option will be available in late 2020 and offered only with 1.6T engine.
The 8-speed “wet” DCT which helps the K5 establish its credentials as a sports sedan was also developed in-house by Kia.
The engine adopts Continuously Variable Valve Duration (CVVD) functionality as well. An industry first, this technology results in a performance boost and improvement in efficiency thanks to independent control of the valve duration
Some of the interesting technology you can find in the new Optima K5 :
8- or 10.25-inch high-resolution color touchscreen
- Split-screen functionality and available satellite radio
- Available 10.25-inch inch touchscreen adds:
- Server-based available navigation system provides real-time traffic data
- New multi-connection Bluetooth wireless connectivity that lets two phones connect simultaneously
- UVO telematics with connected user profiles, allowing different drivers to create the environment they desire with the perfect seat position, outside mirror placement, and favorite radio stations
- Bose Premium sound system, available with 12 high-performance speakers
- Active Sound Design provides a dynamic auditory experience by enhancing the sound of engine acceleration and gear shifts according to the selected drive mode
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto cuts the cord on charging cables, meaning drivers can enjoy being connected without being plugged in (wireless functionality not available on 10.25-inch navigation system)
- Available wireless smartphone charging with drop-in design keeps smartphones at reach and secured inside the charging pad
- Available natural language voice recognition software recognizes a number commands including “turn on the A/C,” and “heat the steering wheel.”
- Newly available Smart Key functions Remote Engine Start and Climate pre-acclimatizes the cabin before passengers enter the vehicle. The standard dual-zone control system can automatically set cabin temperature to a comfortable 72 degrees from the Smart Key
- With hands-free Smart Trunk, access to the rear conveniently pops open when the Smart Key is detected behind the vehicle
And finally, the long list of safety systems :
- Standard Forward Collision Warning (FCW): Designed to detect a vehicle in front and in certain conditions, can calculate the distance and closing speed, and issues an alert to warn the driver if it senses a potential frontal collision.
- Standard Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA): Builds on FCW by assisting the driver in braking to help prevent a collision or lessen the effects in certain conditions if a vehicle or object is detected in front.
- Standard FCA-Pedestrian builds on FCW by detecting vehicles, objects and pedestrians in front
- Available FCA-Cyclist builds on FCW by detecting vehicles, objects, pedestrians, and cyclists in front
- Standard Driver Attention Warning (DAW): Senses inattentive driving patterns and sends an audible/visual warning to alert the driver.
- Adds Leading Vehicle Departure Alert (LVDA): Alerts driver with a chime when the leading vehicle begins to move forward from a standing position.
- Standard Lane Following Assist (LFA): Follows lane markings that the system detects and provides steering inputs to help maintain the vehicle in the center of the lane.
- Available Forward Collision Avoidance Assist (FCA) – Junction Turning (FCA-JT): Assists the driver in braking to help prevent a collision or lessen the effects in certain conditions when turning left and an oncoming vehicle is approaching.
- Available Blind Spot Collision Avoidance Assist (BCA): Under certain conditions, can detect vehicles traveling in the next lane. When a vehicle is “seen” in the blind spot, the vehicle brakes the outer wheel under certain conditions to help return the vehicle to its lane.
- Available Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Avoidance Assist (RCCA): Helps detect most approaching cross traffic when in reverse. When approaching cross traffic is detected, the system alerts the driver and applies brakes.
- Available Parking Distance Warning-Reverse (PDW-R): Detects certain objects behind the vehicle, issuing an audible warning when an obstruction is detected. The warning tone chimes faster as the vehicle gets closer to the detected object.
- Available Parking Collision Avoidance Assist (PCA-R): Uses rear view camera and rear ultrasonic sensors to help detect most pedestrians or nearby obstacles when the vehicle backs out of a parking spot, warning drivers with a chime and can engage brakes to prevent a collision.
- Available Navigation Based Smart Cruise Control-Curve (NSCC-C): leverages the navigation system to lower the vehicle’s speed proactively before upcoming curves.
- Available Highway Driving Assist (HDA): Uses federal highway speed limit information from the navigation system and, under certain conditions, will automatically adjust speed to be within the posted speed limit and maintain distance with the vehicle detected in front.
- Available Safe Exit Assist (SEA): Can alert the driver or passengers opening their door not to exit the vehicle when the system detects approaching traffic. When detected, a chime sounds. The system can intervene to lock the rear doors when the vehicle is equipped with available Power Child Lock.
2021 Kia Optima K5 Gallery :
Selling your car?
Let us give you a free quote and we’ll handle the A to Z of car selling for you!